Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Self Reliance Tip # 8 Water, Water in the Drum


Tip-o-the mornin' to ya!


May's Goal: Get [1] 50 gallon drum for water storage.


Sometimes water storage can seem to be at the bottom of the list of things to do. In an emergency, it is the #1 most needed item. If you have dehydrated food...it doesn't work out so well to have no water. Chewing on that dehydrated stuff might make your lips suck in...you know like you've eaten a lemon :).


Our family goes "self reliance" camping about every three months or so. We bring enough of our food storage stuff to eat and prepare as though we were living in a worst case scenario. We do this for about 5 days. The number one thing we continue to learn is BRING MORE WATER! For our family we easily use 30 gallons (not including laundry). Sometimes with kids it is wasted...so you have to keep an eye on that.


On the http://gottawannaneedagettaprepared.blogspot.com/ site, the author shares some tips on what she learned with her water shut off for about 24 hours. Check it out, I learned some great stuff!


If you met the goal for last month (getting a hand crank wheat ginder), shoot me an email. I will have a treat for you on Sunday :).


And another thing....
We've talked a little bit about Heavenly Father's medicine cabinet in the lesson given in RS a few months ago. I would like to highlight once a month a special plant from his cabinet.


Please note: I am not trying to diagnose or cure anyone or any particular ailment. I'm just passionately curious and have discovered some cool stuff in my days :).


This months herb: Lavender


Even though Sister Emily C. would love to smack me (she hates the smell of lavender :) ), lavender has so many awesome qualities. Lavender is calming and healing.


About a year ago my son Austin jumped off of the dirt-bike that my husband had just taken him a ride on. His "knee pit" landed right on the exhaust pipe. Within seconds we had a second degree burn on our hands. In about that same time he was screaming his head off. My intuition kicked in and this is what I did. I put a few inches of cool water in the bathtub to help cool it down. Then I mixed about 2 T aloe vera gel (the real stuff, I bought it at Lee's), 2 T raw honey (raw honey can be purchased at NCE security - grocery store honey has been cooked and all the healing properties have been killed) and about 4 drops of lavender essential oil and mixed it good.


I got a piece of fabric poured a little bit of my mixture on it and wrapped the burn and then took an ace bandage and wrapped the whole mess. Within a minute or two, he calmed down and took a nap. I did this about 4 or 5 more times the rest of the day. The next morning, it didn't even hurt. I still wrapped it like this for a few more days. It never scarred.


Lavender is a bug repellent (Emily knows why) and works great for mosquito bites. My kids will ask for it. It takes the itch away for about 2 to 3 hours.


Once our family went on a walk (at the wrong time of evening) during the monsoon season. We were bit by mosquitos all the way there. We visited a friend on our walk. She made a mixture of a few drops of lavender essential oil and a few drops of peppermint essential oil in a spray bottle with about 1/2 full of water. She sprayed it on us before we walked out the door. My husband couldn't believe it. A few buzzed around our ears, but no more bites. We've used this little remedy a bazillion times since then.


Have a grandiose day!

No comments:

Post a Comment