Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Self Reliance Tip # 17 Alternative Sources




This month's goal: Cook [one] meal from an alternative cooking source...i.e. solar oven, alcohol stove, rocket stove, volcano stove, BBQ on the grill, dutch oven etc.


This month we will be focusing on alternative cooking sources. A few years ago I made a cardboard box oven. I cooked with it quite a bit until I left it outside and the sprinklers got it. I kept thinking about how I could made a more sturdy one. So, I batted my eyelashes at my husband and we worked together to make one. This link shows you a video on how I use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoXyVsXqAl4

In the video I made some zucchini bread muffins. They have never turned out that flat before, but OH they were good.

Most of you should have a BBQ grill of some sort. It can be used basically the same way. If not, I saw one at Walmart that would work awesome like this for $35. If you want an oven more like mine, you'll need to contact your local handyman (husband, son, grandson, uncle, cousin, neighbor) who knows how to use a welder and SHAZAM - there ya go :). Just remember that your oven has to have some ventilation otherwise the coals go out - they need a wee bit of oxygen. One charcoal will give you about 35 degrees. So if you need a 350 degree oven, you will need basically 10. If you are cooking at a higher elevation, you need more.

So, there is alternative cooking idea #1

And Another Thing...
From Heavenly Father's Medicine cabinet...


One of my favorite herbs is peppermint. There will be some who don't like the taste or smell, or may have a reaction to it, but for the most part, peppermint is one of the best herbs ever!


I have personally used peppermint for:
Calming the munchies
Upset stomach
Gas
Freshen clothes in the dryer
The BEST brownies ever!!
My kids will ask for it if they've eaten too much. If I'm not sure why they have an upset stomach, I will give them both lemon and peppermint. That usually does the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment