Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Self Relaince Tip #43 Fire Starter!




We've been talking about meals and ways to prepare them. Time for a pop-quiz. Here is a scenario to think about to get your creative juices flowing...like cranberry juice, so good for your kidneys, but a little bitter.


Ok, so lets say that you've got all your breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts all squared away. You have a rocket stove, a WONDER OVEN and a solar oven. You have enough water stored for a few weeks, except for laundry...darn I should have gotten more. Your town is hit with an ice storm (I know we're in Arizona...it happens :) ). The power will be out for at least a week and the water pipes are frozen for at least two days.


Its time to make breakfast. There is no sun for a solar oven. You will have to make fire. Nobody told me about that!! I forgot to get matches!!!

What do you do?

I've been researching ways to make fire without matches. Here are a few ideas.

1. Flint fire...it works really well if you have saved some dryer lint. I've been saving for months. Some days I'm tempted to take the lint back to the store and see if I can get a little money back for half of my clothes stuck in lint catcher :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T1pXOC_AkU&feature=related

2. Hand drill method - by the way, he's wearing brain tanned leather :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WjHZJbebJc&feature=related

3. Using a magnifying glass - I watched SEVERAL magnifying glass videos. None (that I saw) but this one actually made fire. They usually smoked. The difference is the size of the magnifying glass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCuXQONbuEU

#######################################################

....And another thing....

I just found this site and I LOVE IT!! It has videos for just about everything storage and organization related. If you are a visual person (like me), and learn faster by watching someone do something than read about it, I'm there!

There are even Pressure Canning 101 videos. Awesome!
http://everydayfoodstorage.net/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment