Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Self Reliance Tip #55 Self Defense and Pancakes!

 
So... how was your "Father's And Son's Outing" weekend? I had an interesting adventure. Let me set the stage: Kayla and I went to dinner. We watched a Barbie movie (that never happens when you are surrounded by boys :) ). When it was time for bed I was so ready. I went to my room and a few minutes later, I heard a bunch of "car noises" that weren't normal right outside my house. I went outside and someone had parked their car at my house hidden behind our truck. I didn't know if anyone was inside or not, but I called the sheriff anyway because something wasn't right. I went back inside the house to make preparations to protect myself and my daughter in case something was in store in "that" department. After all, my husband was not home and it was up to me. Deputies came and inspected the car. They kept an eye out so I could go to bed. In the end, the car was gone in the morning. Nothing really "happened". But... - Why my house? - What was truly going on? - None of the information I had made ANY sense... But it has really made me think...and remember.

When I was in college our Relief Society had a self defense class. Some of the things that the instructor talked about would make a sailor blush because of the sensitivity of the topic. One thing he said that will always stick with me is, "You have to make up your mind now that you will be the one to survive. Do what it takes and don't worry about what you have to do. The bottom line is - I WILL SURVIVE." I feel a song coming on. If that was in college and I was the only one I was responsible for, it makes it that much more important when little families are added to the equation. In this world of increasing wickedness where people are on more legal and illegal drugs that alter normal thoughts and actions, we need to have already made up our minds that we will be the ones to survive before faced with an adrenalin pumping situation.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

.... and Another Thing..... A few weeks ago I sent out a link for a shelf stable recipe book. I thought I'd try the "pancake mix" recipe. To find that, look under "breakfasts" at this link: http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/fsme/docs/SHELF-STABLE-RECIPE-BOOK.pdf

I 1 1/2 'd the recipe (that means, not quite doubled it :) ) and put it in a glass gallon jar. When I want to make pancakes, it is really easy. Things I didn't like about this recipe: - no oil is mentioned - no egg is mentioned (not a fluffy pancake) Things I did like: - I can add oil and egg later. - I can add what ever I want to play with the recipe. The possibilities are endless! - If I want to make a small batch, I only use one cup of pancake mix. To feed the fam, I use three cups of mix. The reason I don't make pancakes that often is because of all the tedious little measurements that turn it into an hour long project in stead of a 15 minute project. Have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment