Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Self Reliance Tip # 13 Other Necessities


Reminder: If you worked on your water storage last month and met your goal, send me an email! I have a treat for you!


This month's goal: Go 24 hours without electricity (YOU CAN DO EET!!)


For starters, I have a video. AWESOME reminders!
http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=nSQcJcnO_CY

This month I would like to focus on "Non-Food Related Self Reliance".


What are some things that you use that could be turned into something "washable"? The first things that came to mind were "pads" for when "Aunt Flo comes to visit" each month and diapers.


You may be thinking, "Ok, both of those are just nasty" - but consider. If you have a year supply of these items, and you need a year and nine months...(I'm just giving an example) then wouldn't it be a great idea to think ahead and have a plan B?

I have been experimenting with the pads. Everyone may not be super excited about all the details, but I will tell you what I've done and what has worked for me. I have done a few different things over the years to get this one figured out. I found a free pattern online...complete with snaps and the whole shebang. I didn't like them. They were too hard to clean. What HAS worked is the cheap towels at Walmart that are a man-made fiber. They are white with blue stripes. They don't dry dishes very well, but they wick away moisture and have worked well for this purpose. I have attached a video on how I fold them to use them.

Things I have learned:
When they're changed, rinse them right away until the water runs clear, wring it and set it on the side of the laundry basket until you're ready to wash them with your whites. Bleach or tea tree oil will help disinfect.
If you rinse them right away, you don't have a bucket that you have to "boil" like your grandmother/ great grandmother may have had to.
Hanging them in the sun will also disinfect them.


As far as diapers, I asked my friend Jen to help me because she's had more experience than me, so here is what she said:

www.mothering.com for cloth diaper videos

www.diaperjungle.com for awesome resources like what detergents are good and which aren't...plus new hybrid diapers I wish I had gotten!

www.zoolikins.com is the closest location and where I got my diapers after researching. They are in old town Scottsdale. They offer classes for cloth diapering and other goods!

These are just a few I use regularly, but there are thousands more out there!

If you no longer use either of these items, you're not off the hook quite yet. Do you have daughters or grand-daughters?


And another thing...
From Heavenly Father's Medicine cabinet....


Once upon a time...we had a tummy bug at our house. First it was Hayden, he would come in my room at 3 a.m. and say "Mom, I don't feel so good....." and what we had eaten for dinner was now on my floor. So, after each child did this for about oh...three weeks I fell to my knees and asked for guidance. My answer was lemon juice. Who would have thought?


To this day, when my kids have upset tummies, they will ask me to make them lemon water.


Lemons are also strong enough to kill warts. Once my sister had one on the pad of her foot just below her big toe. My very wise grandmother "Oma" we called her, directed us to take the peel off of a lemon and tape it to the wart area. After two weeks, it just came out. It left a little hole, but filled in in a few months.


Lemon juice is also good for sore throats. If you think it may be strep, don't use it for that. Add some honey and lemon to warm water and it will soothe ...ahhh.


HAVE A GREAT DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment