Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Self Reliance Tip # 23 Tergent or detergent.. that is the question!





My mind has been caught up a lot thinking about the happenings in America when the signs of the death of Christ had been given. In 3 Nephi 8: 24 it says, "And in one place they were heard to cry, saying: O that we had repented before this great and terrible day, and then would our brethren [and sisters] have been spared..."


In remembering "If ye are prepared (temporally and spiritually) ye shall not fear..." (D&C38:30) - there is no "if only I had..." Just a thought.


In my "Plan B" laundry trial and error, I have tried several recipes for making my own laundry detergent. I even think one was shared at a Relief Society activity. I have seen them made wet and dry each having their own pros and cons. In the video shared last week the Sister LDS Prepper said she would NOT make her own. In what ever way you choose, your life will be easier if you have a sufficient storage of laundry detergent.


With the recipes I've tried, there didn't seem to be enough soap to actually break down the oils and dirt. So, I had an idea. This is what I've come up with. It is less expensive than buying "Tide", but not as inexpensive as other recipes I've used. So, here ya go.


1 small box of Arm and Hammer unscented detergent
1 box of borax
1/2 box washing soda (not baking soda)


Mix it together with a wire wisk in a small bucket (I used something to cover my nose and mouth because it is rather powdery) . If you double it, it will fill a 5 gallon bucket about half full.


Sister Leiah also told me that Costo sells a 5 gallon bucket size for a very reasonable price.


And another thing...


Well, yesterday marked a milestone in my efforts to become more self-reliant. I have stored a [one] year supply of basic necessities according to the calculator provided by the church for the size of family I have. You can find that here.
http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7498-1-4070-1,00.html


It took me about two years of planning, preparing, and saving but I did do it.


Am I "done" yet? Nope. I want to eat more than beans, rye, oats and salt.


However, it IS time to do the "Year Supply Dance" - I'll let you know when I get the steps down for it...so when you're ready, I'll teach it to you :). I am quite the dancer as I'm sure you could guess. I was an Eastern Arizona College Choraleer ....years ago. Paahahahahhahaha.....


No comments:

Post a Comment