Saturday, September 3, 2011

Self Reliance Tip # 25 For A Rainy Day




It doesn't rain here much in the desert, it is easy to let a little giggle out when people say "save it for a rainy day". We don't have those here very often.


However, I have a few thoughts for you:


1. Have you saved a little cash for a rainy day?
2. How do you store medicine for a rainy day?



President Hinckley said in October 2005 General Conference:


"What (calamities) we have experienced in the past was all foretold, and the end is not yet. Just as there have been calamities in the past, we expect more in the future.


What do we do? Someone has said it was not raining when Noah built the ark. But he built it, and the rains came.


We can heed warnings...We have built grain storage and storehouses and stocked them with the necessities of life in the event of a disaster. But the best storehouse is the family storeroom...Our people for three quarters of a century have been counseled and encouraged to make such preparation as will assure survival should a calamity come. We can set aside some water, basic food, medicine, and clothing to keep us warm. We ought to have a little money laid aside in case of a rainy day..."


So to answer my own thoughts, I could change the wording to "a severe dust storm," instead of "a rainy day" - because...well we see those rather often. I need to do better to set aside a little "mula - mula" for those Arizona dust storms.


As far as medicine, a friend of mine shared a little trick with me. Most of you know that I try to take care of things on my own (most of the time) - so I am lucky to not to have to take medication on a daily basis, but there are MANY who do and depend on them. So - here's the trick. Walmart pharmacy will let you refill medications every 21 days. My friend has been able to save almost a year supply by refilling them every 21 days instead of using up the 30 days and then refilling them. The pharmacy that you go to may have a policy similar to this - if not, now you know.


And another thing...


There are those who believe ( I happen to be one of them) that if you have a year supply of beans, cheese, tortillas and salsa that you're set - I mean really, what else is there?


Up until a few months ago, I cringed at the thought of having to eat Pace Picante Sauce...that was more like "get a rope" for me. It is too vinegary for my liking. Then Sister Brandi solved all my problems...I think you'll love this recipe. Sister Leiah prefers less oregano - so play around with it a little and see how you like it.


Siesta Salsa :)
(So good, you'll think you're dreamin')
28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 T minced onion
1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 T oregano
Jalapenos (I have used about 3 to 4 slices bottled and it is just right for me)
Green onions


Blend it all together and Viola! Pour into sterilized jars (I think this recipe filled 3 pint jars) and hot water bath for 30 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment