Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Self Reliance Tip# 27 Gimme a 'T'... Gimme a 'P' ...



So...picture yourself at a football game...



WHA'DO WE WANT?


TP!!!


...WHAT'S THAT?


TOILET PAPER!


Goal this month is: buy two mongoid toilet paper packages and store them for your family. Find a place that is inconvenient to get them so that you don't use them until you NEED them.


A few weeks ago the Wiltbanks let us know there was a milking stand for sale on our local "Trades and Sales" radio show. So, I called up the seller and went to check it out. While I was there I saw the back yard of the soon-to-be former owners of the aforementioned stand.


I was cracking up! These people were hilarious! They had an old outhouse and you could see cowboy boots peeking out underneath. He told me that he would tell his grand kids that the neighbor would come and use it whenever he needed to. The kids would come back 15 minutes later and say, "Grandpa! He's still in there!" Well, they were boots filled with sand for a funny effect.


It took me back to those days when I first moved to Taylor and froze my buns off because I had to go outside to use the outhouse. Poor me. I often wondered (even as a 13 year old) if there was a snake down there to bite those frozen cheeks. Well, I never did get bit and I grew up to be...fairly normal.


When it comes to sanitation and if your toilets all of the sudden can't work (Sister Alisha learned the last few weeks how much fun that can be) - what is an alternative? Here are a few ideas.


http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/emergency-sanitation/


These ideas are good if you have to leave...but what if you're staying? My personal preference is (though probably be different from some) to build some kind of an outhouse. In my camping experiences, it is not fun to "do your duty" in a plastic lined 5 gallon bucket and then have to empty the bag somewhere...yeah. That's just me. So until I would ever need to use it...I'll have some tennis shoes filled with sand peeking out of my "Little Brown House". It will give the neighbors something to talk about.


There ya have it....


And another thing...


Sister Barbara shared this and I think it is awesome.


These would make great gifts!

http://dinnerisinthejar.com/


Lasagna Dinner...In a Jar!

1/4 cup plus 2 T instant dry milk
2 T plus 2 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. chicken or beef bouillon granules
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup dried minced onion
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3 cups egg noodles

Layer ingredients in 1 quart (wide‑mouth) canning jar. Layer ingredients in order, and pack down ingredient before adding next ingredient. Attach a gift tag with the instructions.

To cook, brown hamburger in large skillet. Drain and rinse. Add Lasagna Dinner mix, 2 cups water, and 1 (16 oz.) can of tomato sauce. Bring this to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir until thickened. Top with 2 cups mozzarella cheese about 5 minutes before serving. Allow cheese to melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment