Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Self Reliance Tip #29 I love Your Hams!!




Goal for October: In some way, enhance your emergency communication. A few ways are:
Get a ham radio license

Get a reliable radio with am and fm stations on it ( and sufficient batteries to keep it going)

Create a DETAILED plan with your family (great FHE idea) on where you would go in your community if you couldn't go home, where you would go in the state if you needed to evacuate your community, where you would go out of state if you needed to.

Have name badges for your younger school children with name/address/etc. (you could really make these cute if you wanted to).

Or something else that will help you communicate better



As promised, I am sending information that Sister Barbara sent me on the local Ham Radio classes and test. Also provided is the website to study on your own if you cannot make it to the classes. Then show up on test day.


Wednesday at 5:45 P.M. is our 1st class for ham radio given by the ham radio club in town. The following 3 Tueday, 25th the 1st and the 8th will also be held at 5:45 with the test at the last meeting on Nov 8. The test will cost $15.00. The classes are free. You can also get on the web site: qrz.com/xtest2.html to practice for the test. If you can't make the classes you can study for the test and then take the test Wednesday Nov 8th. Which ever way I would like to know so that I can let the club know. The meeting will ge held at Ace Hardware, door is south of the building.



Contact Sister Barbara if you have any questions.



And another thing...


Well, if you were wondering where I was last Tuesday, I was playing hookie in the forest between Show Low and Heber. I had a blast and learned a lot. I wanted to share with you something that I learned.


Ok, I wasn't playing hookie, I was "preparedness camping" with my family. One family that was there had the most AWESOME gadget. It is called a Thermette. They used it to heat water quickly for showers, dishes, laundry etc. I just looked up its website and sadly they are no longer making them. But...have no fear my dear...I have a plan B!


The Thermette is like a rocket stove, but it is specifically built for heating water. The Thermette is made of copper which is the best heat conductor. However, this Kelly Kettle will still boil water in 3 minutes using sticks, pine cones, grass and even dung :) (did you expect anything less from me? Think of the pioneer children gathering chips for wood).


Check it out here - the vid is very informative.
http://www.kellykettleusa.com/


I would only recommend the stainless steel. The aluminum is less expensive, but it not a very good conductor of heat. As a side mention, anytime you cook with aluminum it gets into your water/food and thus into your body. Think tin foil, soda cans, and aluminum pans. The less heavy metals in your body the better...that includes heavy metal music :).

No comments:

Post a Comment