Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Self Reliance Tip # 30 Sounds of Communication



Think "Sound of Music" with me...


"The hills are alive with the sounds of communication..." Ok, it doesn't completely fit unless you REALLY try.


What have you done this month to strengthen your emergency communication? Send me an email so I can share.


Ok, back to business. Gone are the days of smoke signals, mirrors of mountain tops and Morse Code. Speaking of Morse Code, do you know what the first message sent over telegraph using this outlandish new technology ? It was a scripture. Numbers 23; "What hath God wrought?" What would Mr. Samuel Morse think of our communication technology today? Oh, Mylanta!


I send these tips to some of my friends and family (if you want any of yours added to our tips, ask their permission first and I will add them to our e-mailings). My sister-in-law sent me the cutest email. You might be able to glean something from what she learned when it is "sanitation vs. communication".


We have a meeting place planned out and map in both our cars. On the back of the map we put lists of things to bring and we prioritized them by how much time you have to gather things. So, like you are told you have 15 minutes to grab stuff and run, etc. It also has a list of things to do before leaving the house... like leave a note for other family members and what to put in it (just in case your brain is in panic mode!). We also have a list of designated contacts with phone, cell, and email listed. I printed it on card-stock and laminated it so it can stay in there and not fall apart.

I also made tiny little phone number lists of close friends, family, doctors, etc and also laminated them and [my husband] and I each have one in our purse/wallet. I realized once (after I dropped my cell phone in the toilet!) that I had nothing without all those numbers stored in my cell (and that it's really gross to pull your cell phone out of a toilet!). Luckily [my husband] had his, but what if we didn't have our cell phone? We live in a day of speed dial. I don't have a lot of numbers memorized.


I love how she has a list of "grab and go" things and her list. It can almost be painful for me to have a list. That means I have to SIT and THINK. When I finally do, I'm glad I did.


Well, I'm not going to ask HOW the cell phone got in the toilet. BUT (there's always a big but) I think the important thing is, that if your brain is in panic mode and you don't know the phone numbers by heart, then you'll be thankful that "God hath wrought..." a plan B.


And another thing....


I must admit I was wrong...(don't tell my husband) :) . I need to correct something I said last week. Aluminum is an excellent heat conductor and will quickly heat water in a Kelly Kettle - maybe even more quickly than the stainless steel kettle. However, I would be purchasing the stainless steel one before the aluminum one for the reason I stated last week. Just an FYI.



My friend and I were talking Monday morning about how some of our ancestors (some are different, some are the same :) ) had so little. Her ancestors had one set of clothes. They were getting ready to have a baby and prayed and prayed to have a piece of flannel to wrap the new baby in. She was so afraid to not have anything to wrap the baby in that to console her, her husband said, "Has there ever been a baby born that had nothing to be wrapped in?" Her reply was, "No, I think not." His reply was, "Neither shall this baby." When the baby was born, a neighbor gave them a piece of flannel to wrap the baby in. Her prayer had been answered through another person. So, this week's extra thought is, remember how blessed you are. Remember how rich you truly are. People can live without a great many things and be happy.


I leave you with an AWESOME video:
http://www.youtube.com/davidkat99#p/u/7/WNQfmKBN2bQ

No comments:

Post a Comment