Friday, June 22, 2012

Self Reliance Tip # 59 Latter Day Preppers



Good morning to ya!!

A few years ago in "Pop Culture" a song came out. It is called "Its the End of the World as We Know It". The lyrics at the end of the chorus say, "Its the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine." They must be into self-reliance!! :)

Most "preppers" outside the LDS community refer to prophecies foretold in the bible as TEOTWAWKI (or the end of the world as we know it). It is our goal to follow the promptings we get to get our individual families ready for such a time. The Book of Mormon repeats the lesson over and over that if the people who dwell on this land keep the commandments, they will prosper. If not, they will loose it. The excerpt below is an email I received from Sister Kathy. I share it with you in hopes that you might tell your friends and family why it is important that they make preparations for their own families. If they plan ahead, they will have no need to "just come to your house" when things get tough.

"When discussing prepping preparedness and emergency supplies with family and friends, many of you have probably heard the flippant remark: ""I'll just go to your house." I have been somewhat taken aback at this statement. I initially didn't know how to respond. I knew it was a flippant response from some, made out of mockery and intended to elicit laughter. Their mindset is that they don't want to prepare, and don't see the point. Most off them think that our concerns for the future are humorous and unlikely to ever come to fruition. And I knew a few who felt overwhelmed and unsure of how to start to prepare for themselves. They were frightened by what they saw coming, but unable to make that practical step, to prepare for themselves while there is time and information aplenty. I know that many other like-minded people have been faced with the same situation. Perhaps my pondering on it and laying it out when you face the same statement, or rashly consider making the statement yourself. After much consideration I have realized there can be only one response: You cannot come to my house in TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it). I don't say this because I don't care. I do. I wouldn't have entered the conversation with you in the first place otherwise. I say this because of two very real and serious reasons. 1. In the event of a real emergency, you will most likely never reach my home. Consider it. If you have been to my house, you most likely had to drive to get there. And some of you have had to drive a long way. And some of you have had to drive through many cities and other populated areas. Many emergency situations could lead to roads and bridges that are damaged or closed. Many unprepared fellow citizens could become lawless, falling into a dangerous mob mentality. The further you have to drive, simply increases the number of obstacles you could face. Traveling immediately after an emergency can be extremely dangerous and unpredictable. 2. I do not have the resources, energy or ability to prepare for you and your family's unique needs. Many people have very differing dietary needs. Within just my close circle of friends and family, I have loved ones who need very low sodium foods, gluten free foods, vegetarian foods, low glycemic or low carbohydrate foods. Some also have food allergies, drug allergies, environmental allergies, and chronic conditions that require medications or frequent monitoring and specialized treatment. Slowly, one by one, I research these needs to find foods, herbs, home remedies and treatments to aid in a long, healthy, drug free life, using materials that I can grow, glean, or make in my own home. But this research takes time and practice. And sometimes I am happy with the results, and sometimes I have to start over in my search for a self sufficient answer to these troubles. I also try to find alternatives to everyday items and duties. Baby diapers, Toilet Paper, Washing clothes without electricity, Cooking. This has taken a lot of time to research (still underway) and purchase needed supplies that will last: Cloth diapers, family cloth, a bucket and plunger, clothes drying rack, propane camp stove as well as an outdoor fire pit. We are also a one income family with 3.5 children, 100+ chickens, 9 ducks and 4 goats. It could take years for me to provide beds, bedding, clothing, medicine and food for 20+ additional people. Let us consider just one aspect. My family of 5.5 people live in a two bedroom home. If you and your family were to come to my house, where would you sleep? Perhaps for one or two nights you would feel grateful to have space on my floor. But after a while you would desire better sleeping arrangements, beds or at least pads, blankets or sleeping bags. You would also eventually need to change your clothing. Would you be able to bring all the extra clothing you would need in your hurried race from your home? Sturdy practical shoes? Your favored hygiene products? Your hair brush and tooth brush? How long will you be satisfied at my home carting water daily and defecating in an outdoor privy? With no electricity my home does not have water OR septic. Even with electricity, my septic is rated for 6 people and could quickly be overworked and create a health nightmare for everyone involved. These are things that you may not have considered. But they are things that I must consider. Prepping literally means, Preparing for what could happen. I hope you can see that this is not because I do not care for you. It is because I do care for you. I urge you all to prepare for your own. Not only is it truly your responsibility, but it is truly something that only YOU are capable of doing. By relying on someone else, you will end up with impersonal, inadequate and sometimes completely unsatisfactory results. And for those who think this is all unnecessary and a waste of time.... I wish it was."

%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%

I was taking a little time to sit and relax on Saturday morning and decided to take a peek at Pinterest. I found something shocking that I love. I am going to try it and tell you how it went for me. Did you know that you can re-grow celery from the bottom that you usually cut off and throw away? Check this out! The author of this blog also has all kinds of other cool recipes and ideas!

http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/re-growing-celery/

No comments:

Post a Comment