Thursday, June 28, 2012

Self Reliance Tip #61 Soap Nut

You may consider me a bit of a "soap nut". It might have something to do with one of my hobbies of soap making. I have tried my hand at laundry detergent that is more natural, but economical. I think I have found something to make other "soap nuts" out there giggle with delight. Introducing...the soap nut. Is it a "nut"...not really. It is a berry that has been dried that has what is called "saponins" in it that make a bubbly froth. For a batch of clothes use five nuts for cold water and three nuts for hot water washes. Those three to five "nuts" are good for four to five batches! Sweetness!! I have read reviews on sites and blogs, and watched tons of videos. Here is a breakdown on how affordable they are:

http://www.soapnuts.pro/2009/09/01/soap-nuts-affordability/

...It gets better. The company NaturOli that is mentioned in the article has their "Soap Nuts" for more than twice the price that you can find them at Mountain Rose Herbs!! I love that place!! http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/s.html (scroll down to find soap nuts) Now it is time to try it. I have purchased some. I'll let you know how it goes. Wanna know what desert plants have saponins in them? You may have some in your back yard :) -
Native peoples used the root of this plant to wash everything...including their hair!! They would harvest the root, wash off the dirt, peel it, slice it and dry it. This was their bar soap. Just add water :). If you only take a few "tubers" (legs) of the roots, you can cover the remaining roots again with dirt and the plant will continue to grow. Even though soap nuts are a little more convenient at this point, it is good to know these yucca are out there :). Here is a video for more about the uses of yucca:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b08zwv2zHks&feature=related

Here is a video on how to make North American Yucca Bread...AWESOME!!! Watching this will make you thankful for your kitchen :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynOEvuPI17E&feature=related

Until next time...my little soap nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment