Sunday, September 30, 2012

Self Reliance Tip #71 - Establish a House & 72 Hr. Kits - Sept 11

Good Morning!!!

We're just gonna jump right into this today! We're gonna move on with the next part of our scripture ( D&C 88:119):

"...and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith..."

Much of the "world" today looks on homemaking and running a household as the least desirable of all jobs. I was at the bank the other day and the teller said, "What do you do for a living?" 

My response was, "Um, well, I'm a taxi driver, a laundress, a messaging service, an accountant, a chef,..." I think she got the picture and started laughing. However; the most important part of establishing a home is the spiritual part of it. All the pretty decorations and fine furniture will mean nothing if we haven't taught our children the love the Lord and His love for us. One of the hardest things for me to teach my children is to fast properly and to fast for the "right" reasons. Just when you think all is lost and you are ready to throw in the towel, you get surprised (as I was when all three of my children bore their testimonies last Sunday...I did not expect that one). Here is a link to an article written by Elder Bednar about the scriptures and five principles we can apply to our scripture study to make it more meaningful to us: http://www.lds.org/new-era/2006/04/because-we-have-them-before-our-eyes

Where can we go to increase our abilities to prepare our families spiritually for whatever might be ahead? The obvious answer is: the scriptures. When we take the time to read about the last days and the Second Coming we are reminded of the plan that was prepared from the beginning. Some of Revelations and Isaiah can be a bit confusing, but there are other helps out there. Here are a few books that I have read that have helped me understand some of these prophecies so much better - lots of food for thought: 


&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

And another thing...

I have been spending extra time these last few months trying to perfect my 72 hour kits...you know, like I had to actually LIVE on it for 3 or more days. 72 hour kits are a very personal thing. Think of it as your purse...I am lacking so much to have a perfect purse...but Sister Marilyn has just about everything! I think I've even seen the kitchen sink in there once or twice! 

There are several things in 72 hour kits that everyone needs. This list is what I have been using to have a better 72 hour kit and where I found them:
  • Emergency drinking water packets (they are smaller than water bottles - Amazon)
  • MRE complete meals (I have found some Mountain House at Walmart in the camping isle)
  • Emergency candles (I made some of my own - beeswax :) )
  • Emergency Poncho (found on Amazon.com)
  • Emergency Blanket (found on Amazon.com)
  • Water purification tablets (Wal-Mart)
  • Compass (Wal-Mart)
  • Disposable Hand Warmer (Wal-Mart)
  • Canteen (Wal-Mart and Amazon.com)
  • Pair of Work gloves (Home Depot)
  • Eating Utensils (check these out...they are like pocket knife style http://www.amazon.com/SE-KC5006S-4-Inch-Camping-Detachable/dp/B000XFHJW4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347376592&sr=8-2&keywords=eating+utensils+camping)
  • First Aid Kit ( Army surplus store in Sierra Vista)
  • Nylon cord (haven't got it yet...)
  • Wind and Waterproof matches (Walmart)
  • Tissue (Walmart)
  • Roll toilet tissue (Walmart)
  • Can opener (GI type - on my utensil set)
  • Whistle (Wal-Mart)
  • Magnesium fire starter (Walmart & Big 5)
  • Knife (swiss army type - Walmart)
  • Butane lighter (Walmart & Thriftee)
  • FM 21-76 US Army Survival Manual
  • Pocket soap (made it :) )
  • Small stove and fuel (Walmart)
  • Folding scissors (Walmart)
  • Light sticks (Walmart)
  • Roll Duck tape (Walmart)
  • Waste bags (Walmart)
  • Stainless Steel Mess Kit (Big 5)
  • Water Bottle Filter (I have one similar to this http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/CAMP-173?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CPyQoM_srbICFWXhQgod3x8AJw)
I found one last thing I wanted to mention as far as food for the 72 hour kit. These little tabs are awesome! I plan on getting some for our family. They are called "survival tabs". Four tabs give you enough nutrition for 1 meal. They are compact, light and take up such little space it is incredible! I have talked to other people who have tried them and they said they taste good (what's the point if they taste bad right? ). They even said their kids love them! It would be nice to replace one to two meals which will save water to drink instead of food preparation. The less water you have to carry, the lighter your bag will be also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment