Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Self Reliance Tip #34 Ode to Bread




Goal this month: Make one recipe with just the basics from food you have stored.

Ok, what are your basics of food storage? Beans, grain, nuts, .... and all the extra cooking essentials.

Last night for dinner I made beef stew and fry bread. My husband came home late from a LooooOOonng day at work. He sat down to eat. He picked up the fry bread, took a bite and said, "You have everything in our food storage to make these...right?"


Fry bread was one of the first things I learned to cook as a youth. I griped and moaned that I HAD to learn how to make bread. Life was awful. Then when I went to college and I had "perfected" my recipe, I suddenly became popular with everyone. I must say that the old saying "The best way to a man's heart is through his stomach" rings true in the courtship with my husband :).


So, for fry bread you need flour, salt, sugar, oil and yeast. That's pretty basic, but oh its good. Yeast isn't on the "basics" recommended list, but neither is baking powder or any other leavening. Who's up for unleavened bread? Not if I can plan ahead!

My "perfected" recipe changed when I met Emily Clonts. She shared her recipe with us at a RS meeting. My life is forever changed....(bowing to the Queen of Bread) .....and so is my waistline :). I take no credit for this recipe. I usually half it...she's WAY better at sharing than I am :).

Ode To the Queen of Breads
6 C. warm water
2/3 C oil
2/3 C honey
2 T salt
3T yeast
1C white flour (plus more...read below)
6 - 8 C whole wheat flour

Put ingredients in Bosch as listed. Add all wheat flour, 1 C white flour and mix until blended and then let sit for 15 minutes. Start mixer and add white flour until you can see the sides of the bowl pull clean as well as the dough coming clean from the bottom of the bowl. The dough should be very sticky and does not come together at this point, but the bowl is clean as the dough turns. Kneed on 2 for 12 minutes. Oil hands, remove dough from mixer onto ta slightly oiled counter, divide your dough with a knife into 4 to large loaves depending on your pan size. Shape loaves, and place in a well greased (sprayed with cooking spray - oil does not work, but lard will). Cover with a dry towel and let rise until doubled in size. This will take 30 to 60 minutes depending on the room temperature. Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 27-32 minutes or until the inside temperature is 180. Remove from pans, butter tops and cool on cooling racks before putting into bags.

....And another thing....

Here is a quote I will leave you with.

We all need to build a personal ark, to fortify ourselves against this rising tide of evil, to protect ourselves and our families against the floodwaters of iniquity around us. And we shouldn’t wait until it starts raining, but prepare in advance. This has been the message of all the prophets in this dispensation, as well as the prophets of old.

Unfortunately we don’t always heed the clear warnings of our prophets. We coast complacently along until calamity strikes, and then we panic.

When it starts raining, it is too late to begin building the ark. However, we do need to listen to the Lord’s spokesmen. We need to calmly continue to move ahead and to prepare for what will surely come. We need not panic or fear, for if we are prepared, spiritually and temporally, we and our families will survive any flood. W. Don Ladd, 2nd Quorum of 70, Oct, 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment