Thursday, December 29, 2011

Self Reliance Tip # 38 Don't forget Tithes and Offerings!




Goal this month: Do something to be more financially prepared.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

If you follow this link:

http://www.providentliving.org/media/training/peaceheart/main.html

...it will directly lead you to the advice given by the First Presidency on finances. This month we have covered "use a budget" and "avoid debt". I failed to mention the most important and first on their list "pay your tithes and offerings". Just like every other principle of the gospel, you have to live it first to gain a testimony of it. This also applies to the last point The Presidency want to add under "Managing Household Finances Wisely"...that is Build a Reserve.

Having a savings set away is an excellent idea. I could list so many reasons why it could make your head spin. I'm sure you could give me even more reasons than I could think of. But, of the savings you have, how much of it is in digital form? How much do you have that you could just get without going to the bank to withdraw it?

In last weeks tip I shared an excerpt from "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" - the authors stated that because of all the unpaid credit accounts, the ATM's no longer could give cash out because they didn't have any. Sometimes I've gone to the bank when the ATM isn't working and I grumble because I HAVE to go inside. What if you go and the bank or the ATM will issue no money to anyone? That would be a little more than a slight inconvenience. Especially if you need diapers or something that is a similar necessity.

In the book "On the Wings of Faith" by Fredrick W. Bable (which I highly recommend), he shares that someone who was in charge of church monies in Germany during WWII was trying to protect it. The government was following the money from bank to bank. Finally he buried it. After the war, he went back through it. There was more than what he put there. Unsure of what to do with the extra, he was advised to record it as "anonymous donation". I LOVE THAT! Now that I'm thinking about it, there is so much in that book about the miracles of spiritual self reliance "when you do your part, the Lord can do his."

I was given the advice once to save small dollar bills as well as the bigger ones.

Well, that's about it for today! Have a safe and a happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment