Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Self Reliance Tip #37 Finances...




So, I just found this show on BYUtv.org and I LOVE IT!!! I've been watching it with my kiddos on Sunday nights. I encourage you to take the time to watch some...
http://byutv.org/watch/d4c8b5ec-b416-4e33-aaf4-0796bfc998a9

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This month's goal: Do something this month to help you be more financially self reliant
Put some money away

Pay an extra payment on a credit card

Pay off your mortgage :)...you know something small :)



Ok onto todays tip!


One of my FAVORITE past times is to read from "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader". It is full of humor, interesting facts and just plain silly things. There are like 20 editions now, but I wanted to share with you something I read from the 17th Bathroom Reader, the "Slightly Irregular" one (isn't that hilarious!).

Have you ever planned something to solve a problem and your plan worked a little too well?

"The Plan: To get its citizens to spend money, and thus boost the country's faltering economy, in 1999 South Korea instituted a program making it easy for anyone to obtain a credit card.


It worked... The nations economic growth climbed by 10 % in the first year alone.


...Too well! by 2003 the average South Korean worker had four credit cards and consumers had run up more than $100 billion in debt. There were so many unpaid credit card accounts that the nation's largest credit company had to stop issuing money from their ATMs and had to get an emergency loan just to stay afloat. Credit card debt was also blamed for a rash of suicides, thefts, kidnappings and prostitution cases. "Koreans ate a poison pill," economist Kim Kyeong Won told Time magazine, "It tasted sweet at the time, but was still poison." (pg 194)

It is kind of interesting that our country did the same thing only a few years later. The way to true economic growth is to provide a good or service. The way to economic decline is to spend "free" money because you end up paying double if not more. 

I still remember the talks given by Sister Noelle and her husband a few months ago. They spoke about communication in finances between husband and wife. They are good at saving and remind the other what are needs and what are not.

It can be tough when you're strapped to the hilt as it is..."How can we pay this stuff off?"

President Eyring gave a conference address in October 2010 about trying to heed the counsel of President Benson about getting out of debt and staying out. He specifically mentioned paying off the mortgage. President Eyring and his wife prayed, had faith, obeyed the promptings of the spirit. Then they received the blessings for being obedient. You can read more of the details here.
http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/trust-in-god-then-go-and-do?lang=eng&query=mortgage+(name%3a%22Henry+B.+Eyring%22)

.....And another thing....


Woah ...did you eat onions??!!!

The last time I was at my parents home, my mom gave me large bags of onions . She instructed me to dehydrate them. I don't have a dehydrator, so I used my oven on the lowest possible setting with wax paper between the onions and cookie sheet. It took all night to dehydrate them. After I diced them the "tear gas" was so strong at dinner time everyone's eyes were watering. It makes me cry just thinking about it! But...nothing flavors food storage meals quicker or more efficiently than dehydrated onions!

If I hadn't dehydrated them, they would have gone bad because there were a lot of them! Dehydrating is an excellent way to preserve an over abundance of just about anything...except eggplant maybe...well, I guess I'll never know because none of us like eggplant.


This website is AWESOME!! It has lots and lots of recipes of how to use dehydrated foods. There is even a "recipe" how to make BEAUTIFUL mahogany colored shelves to store your vacuum sealed creations! Enjoy and let me know if you find a recipe you really like!

http://dehydrate2store.com/recipes/

No comments:

Post a Comment