Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Self Reliance Tip # 49 Bottled Chicken and Bandaids




Woah! Did I can some chicken! I had enough chicken to fill 40 pints. Two didn't seal, one broke and I used the last two would- have-been pints for dinner on Thursday night. So, all together I did get 36 pints (3 boxes full). That's awesome!! It took me all afternoon into the night, but I got it done and it feels really good!

The two that didn't seal we had for dinner on Sunday and my family loved the flavor that the carrot, celery and onion added to the chicken salad. I'm going to use some of the green chili that I added to other jars for chicken enchiladas in a week or so and see how that goes over.


For those who might need a refresher course when you get the time and means to can some chicken of your own, here are canning instructions - meat is the EASIEST thing to can:

http://everydayfoodstorage.net/videos

.... And another thing....

How is your First Aid Kit looking? Does it have more than 32 band-aids and 15 alcohol wipes? My husband and son went on a camporee a few weekends ago for scouts. They were asked to show their First Aid Kits. The man checking the kits was impressed and said that the combined kits for the group they were in was the most complete he had seen. They were only missing one main thing- triangle bandages. I need to put that on my list.

In many of the "preparedness minded" websites I've seen, their First Aid Kits have much to be desired. If someone got hurt and this is all you had to fix them up, 32 band-aids don't go very far.

Real medical kits can be expensive, but you're not going to get much for $23.95. Here is one I've found. There is a link below that tells you what is in it. It has scissors, triangular bandages, and tons of other stuff. Along with this, you should educate yourselves on how to use some of the items because this isn't your "Walmart Special" First Aid Kit.

http://store.survivalcenter.com/products/EMT%252dMedical-Rescue-Kit.html

No comments:

Post a Comment