Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Safely Gathered in... And Beeswax Candles


..... And the results are in....

So, many of you might remember several months ago when we did a "preparedness" survey during a combined meeting. These numbers have given me a general idea on how we are doing as a ward with the things we have been counseled to do and have prepared. It also gives me a idea of what I should focus on to help encourage where most are struggling.

I am so excited to report that ALMOST every family surveyed has their three month supply. That made me so happy!

I was also impressed that a little more than half have a 72 hour kit for each family member.

About a third were almost there or have a years supply. That is actually not too bad, but there is always room for improvement here!!

The last question had to do with a financial reserve. This had the most varied answers of any question (probably because it wasn't a yes or no answer :) ). What can your family do to put a little extra away?

Even though these answers may have changed in the last few months for your family as you have worked and stored and canned and saved, only you know where you need to keep working. Some of you may be so prepared that you can sleep soundly while the storm rages outside because all is safely gathered in.

.... And another thing...

A year ago, I did a demonstration on how to make beeswax candles. It wasn't the best demo ever. In fact, I was really disappointed at how the wicks worked even though I talked to more than one candle wick company and they assured me their wicks would work well for our container beeswax candles.

Well I found this website and video and I love it! When you get a chance, watch this video. I want to get this mold! Beeswax candles burn hotter, longer and are cleaner. There are no toxic chemical scents either. This website also has lanterns and the old fashioned brass holders too. The wicking is CHEAP too.

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=71

Isaac and I roasted mini-marshmallows over a beeswax candle yesterday morning for a little activity. We had a great time :). There are SO MANY uses for beeswax candles :).

No comments:

Post a Comment