Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Self Relaince Tip #51 72 Hour Kits and Brigham Tea




Good morning! The weather can be a funny thing. It has been so nice and then it got chilly again. I guess it isn't quite time to separate out my winter clothes just yet. :)


I found this video and I thought it worth sharing. Most of it may not be new to you, but there may be some ideas to help you in preparing a "disaster kit" that we know better as a 72 hour kit. I really need to get one for our family vehicles in case someone may be stranded in case of an emergency.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-m8G27FxhU&feature=related


On the subject of rotating these "kit" items, the video suggests checking it when most of the country changes clocks for daylight savings. Since we as Arizonans don't do that, General Conference is a good time to do that. Did anyone do that this weekend? Do your clothes still fit? Are those granola bars nice and stale?


Just a few things to think about in your efforts to keep these very valuable things updated.


..... And another thing....
........... From Heavenly Father's Medicine Cabinet.....


I have really enjoyed learning about desert plants and the gifts they are to us from our Heavenly Father! The plant I would like to put in the limelight today is ..... wait for it....

Ephedra Nevadensis~ Also known for making "Brigham Tea"



They can actually grow pretty wide, and about 4 feet tall. I've never seen one taller than me, and that's not real hard to do :). It is actually the American form of the Chinese Ephedra. You can find these on the higher desert places. "Brigham" actually refers to Brigham Young. It is also known as Mormon Tea. I have heard of my ancestors using it for chronic cough (bronchitis) while crossing the plains. Some of them will get a white powdery film on them. This is actually yeast. They would put these yeast covered branches in their sugar water and make bread with it this way. ISN'T THAT AWESOME??? The powered herb can be sprinkled where someone is bleeding and it will help it to coagulate and stop it.


The tea is also good for:


UTI's
Syphilis

Allergies
and
Low blood pressure


SWEET!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment