Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Self Reliance Tip # 53 Reviews For Two..

Its time for a review...or two...

Review #1:

Last week I "unveiled" the Wonder Wash (now I have a Wonder Wash and a Wonder Oven HAH! ). I cracked mine open yesterday and did some laundry. Here are some pros and cons from my experience: Cons: It doesn't hold much One of the suction cups on the bottom didn't hold and made it kind of hard to turn. ( I eventually taught it who's boss). Pros: It actually worked pretty well. When pre-treated, my daughter's shirt came out perfect. It is easy enough for my three year old to turn. He even enjoyed doing laundry. It is so much less mess than a "plunger and bucket" combo - especially for the kiddos. Even socks came out smelling fresh - not bad for two minutes of turning. Overall, it was a good buy and I know it will come in handy.When my kids got home from school, they all "oo-d" and "ah-d".

My daughter said, "This is so easy. I could do laundry all day!" Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'? Bingo!! Summer fun here we come!

Review #2

A few weeks ago I sent out a video demo on a better way to do candles than I showed you last April. I bought the mold and started practicing.

Cons: You have to get the wick as close to center as possible. If not, they spill out the side of the candle and it makes a mess. I had to figure out a better way to thread the wicks into the mold because I was getting frustrated. It can be messy (that is until you get your groove down, then no prob!)

Pros: These are the BEST candles! These little babies last about two hours each. If you didn't get the wick quite right, and you have a messy candle, you can remelt the wax and make another! They are so much fun to make!!! My kids are willing to do extra jobs to "earn" some candles...they love them too.

... And another thing...

So, what do you do with extra red peppers? Sometimes if you ever go to a food bank, Bountiful Baskets, or someone gives you more than you're going to use, what do you do with them? Dehydrate them. You can use a dehydrator or your oven on the lowest of the low settings. Some awesome people gave me more than I could use fresh, so I did just that. I tried wax paper before, but I've discovered the love of parchment paper. It works so much better! I laid parchment paper on two cookie sheets. I chopped my peppers into small pieces and scattered them across the parchment. Next, they went on in the oven with them below the "warm" setting and left them alone for a few hours. I would change racks every few hours and push them around because the outside ones seem to dry faster than the inside ones. I put them in before dinner and they were completely dry by lunch the next day. Dehydrators take a bit more time, but I think they might be a little more efficient with the energy used. Give it a try! The possibilities are endless with the vegetables you can dehydrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment