Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Self Reliance Tip #4 Vegetable Fermentation?


I am so SO so proud of all of you ladies. I have received many reports that more and more of our sisters are bumping up their efforts to become more self reliant!!! You will thank yourself and Heavenly Father over and over that you obeyed!!


In General Conference 1974 President Spencer W. Kimball said:


The little gardens and a few trees are very valuable. I remember when the sisters used to say, `well, but we could buy it at the store a lot cheaper than we could put it up.' But that isn't quite the answer, is it, Sister Spafford? Because there will become a time when there isn't a store.”


[please insert your name for "Sister Spafford" because she isn't the only one :) He really said Sister Spafford, I promise! ]


So what does that have to do with the price of cabbage?


Well, today we'll be taking about fermentation of fruits and vegetables. You may be thinking "Well, Sister Petitt, didn't we just have a lesson on the dangers of strong drink and other Word of Wisdom points?"


When fruits and vegetables are mashed and jarred on the counter for a few days (it is called lacto-fermentation) it is more of a vinegar flavor like sauerkraut. It is a way of preserving goodies from your garden. You get the full benefits of the vitamins, minerals and enzymes without high heat and pressure. Soy sauce is lacto-fermented. Pickles and sauerkraut used to be made this way. Now they just add vinegar to them and ship them out. ITS JUST NOT THE SAME GINA!!!


Other benefits include: easier digestion, promotes the growth of the good bacteria in your intestines (which in turn builds your immune system), the enzymes produce antibiotic and anticarcinogenic substances. The best benefit is that ITS EASY!!!!


When I was a kid my dad told me that if I did something he didn't want me to do, I'd be in "deep kimchi". I always associated that with "deep doo-doo". I did not want to be in deep kimchi. I laughed a hearty "ho ho ho" when I realized it was pickled cabbage. So that is the recipe that I will share with you!


Kimchi


1 head Napa cabbage (also called chinese cabbage) cored and shreaded
1 bunch green onions chopped
1 C grated carrots
1 T freshly grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp dried chile flakes
1 T sea salt


Place vegetables, ginger, garlic, red chile flakes and sea salt in a bowl and pound with a wooden pounder, meat hammer, tortilla roller or rock (hey whatever it takes...ok not really) to release juices. place in a quart sized wide mouth mason jar and press down on the top of the cabbage. The top of the vegetables should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage.


After making this recipe, and pounding for some time, I usually get about a quart and a pint of vegetable mush. Now is the time of the year to do it. It doesn't work so well in the winter because warm temperature works better. Cold storage can be your fridge or a basement.


Until next time...I'm going to get myself into deep kimchi!!


Marsha

No comments:

Post a Comment