Monday, April 18, 2011

Self Reliance tip # 6 What about Bob.... I Mean Butter!!!


What about butter? Its like...buuutta....Did you ever see the movie "What About Bob?" Sometimes, I think that's how butter feels. The BOTULISM scare.


Butter, always left out of long term storage...poor thing. If you do a search on the internet you will find all kinds of information about "Its Good", "Its Bad", "The FDA says this...", "The Department of Agriculture says that", "I have an Aunt that's been doing it for years...." etc etc etc.


But what if...???


Have you ever seen canned butter at the grocery store? If you do find it, it is like MEGGA expensive...I'm talkin' like $7 for 8 oz. Who's gonna wanna rotate that?


I have never had problems with the butter I have canned. I have canned my own butter for a few years, but still was a little nervous because of the information I had read. Well, this site answered many questions for me so that I could can butter with confidence and let Bob...I mean butter affordably become part of my storage without having a cow (a cow over the store's price or literally have an animal called a cow :) ). When you can your own butter, it is more like $3.50 for 16 oz. That includes a new jar. If you use it over and over, it becomes less and less. If you get the butter on sale...ta da!!

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/to-bottle-or-not-to-bottle-butter/

When I make mine, I don't boil the butter. I melt it, put it in clean sterile jars and then hot water bath it for 30 min. The taste is a little bit different than fresh butter...more of a sharp taste, like cheddar.


An alternative is also this...I have heard great reports about this, but haven't tried it myself.
http://www.shelfreliance.com/butter-powder-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment